Primary Care Pharmacy Technician De Winton Field Practice, Tonypandy
Primary Care Pharmacy Technician – De Winton Field Practice, Tonypandy
Contact email: Chris.email@example.com or [email protected]
Contact phone: 01443 432112
Organisation: De Winton Field Practice
Location: Tonypandy, Rhondda Cynon Taff
Post code: CF40 2LE
Salary: Band 5
We are looking for a motivated, forward thinking Pharmacy Technician, preferably with primary care experience, to join the multi-disciplinary team at De Winton Field Practice.
The practice team consists of 3 GP partners, 2 salaried GPs, Clinical Pharmacists, Advanced Nurse Practitioners, Practice Nurses, a Health Care Assistant and a very supportive administration and reception team.
The role will be varied and you will be expected to undertake work alongside the practice pharmacist to answer medication queries and manage repeat prescription authorisations and re-authorisations, undertake medicines reconciliation and various other aspects of medicines management. You will also provide prescribing advice and support to the practice clinical team which will include undertaking audits, developing protocols, providing feedback to prescribers and monitoring improvements.
As part of your role you will also support the practice pharmacist with chronic disease management, shared care and anticoagulation medication processes as well as supporting the medication processes within nursing homes.
We believe this to be an exciting opportunity for a pharmacy technician who would like to apply their skills to ensure safe and efficient prescribing in general practice. We would always welcome informal visits to meet the practice team.
To apply for this position, please email your CV with a cover letter to [email protected] or send to: De Winton Field Practice, Tonypandy, Rhondda Cynon Taff, South Wales, CF40 2LE.
Closing date: 18.02.2019
Practice Pharmacy Technician
Post: Primary Care Pharmacy Technician
Location: De Winton Field Practice, Tonypandy
Salary: Band 5 equivalent
Report to: Practice Pharmacist
Job Purpose and Main Duties
The Primary Care Pharmacy Technician will work alongside the practice Clinical Pharmacist to support the practice clinical team in all aspects of prescribing and medicines safety.
The purpose of this role is to support improvements to maximise safe and best practice in prescribing and improve the quality of patient care. You will be a point of contact for patient’s enquiries regarding their prescriptions. The post holder will help patients to get the best from their medicines through effective medicines reconciliation after discharge and on other transfers of care, identification of patients potentially suitable for repeat dispensing, providing assurance of monitoring of high-risk drugs, and handling of prescription queries within the areas of competence.
The role will also include training and development of practice based prescribing clerks and administrators to support improved co-ordination and effective pharmacy administration within general practice, especially with relation to repeat prescribing systems and processes.
- Support to the practice Clinical Pharmacist and practice Clinical Team to provide a safe and effective repeat prescribing service
- Comply with legal and professional requirements and with safe systems of work for re-authorising repeat prescriptions.
- Co-ordinate medication review appointments and any changes of medication as advised by the clinical team
- Liaise with pharmacies on the supply of prescribed drugs, alert clinicians of any supply issues and forward recommendations of alternatives
- Provide an efficient administration service as the role of lead to ensure smooth running of prescription support to the clinical team
- Medicines reconciliation post discharge and on other transfers of care.
- Bring queries to clinical team to include under or over usage.
- Day to day handling of prescription queries within area of own competence.
- Delivery of training and development to practice based prescribing clerks and administrators to support improved co-ordination and effective pharmacy administration within General Practice.
- Use and maintain information reporting systems and databases relevant to the position including incident reporting, prescribing data and patient outcomes.
- Participate in practice meetings, and other meetings to improve engagement of the role and to promote issues relevant to prescribing.
- Liaise with multidisciplinary team, prescribing support team, community pharmacy and hospital pharmacy teams.
- Handle function specific information, which may be sensitive, complex or confidential and appropriately recording, transferring and/or coordinating such information in accordance with the GDPR; Caldecott Guidelines and the Confidentiality Code of Conduct.
- Be responsible for the organisation, planning and of own workload to meet set deadlines.
- Utilise GP practice clinical systems to conduct prescribing audits.
- Support the Clinical Pharmacist with the work required under the UHB Medicines Management Incentive Scheme.
- Support the Clinical Pharmacist in Share Care monitoring and processes.
- In collaboration with practice Clinical Pharmacist and GP Prescribing Lead ensure that all major MHRA drug alerts, where appropriate and within levels of competence, are acted upon within practices over an appropriate time frame and to advise on any medication changes that occur as a result
- Undertake training and development, to ensure the required knowledge and skills for practice based work
- Escalate problems or issues to line manager that requires additional support or input
- Carry out other duties which are appropriate to the skills and competencies of the post holder and grade of the post as the priorities of the service change
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with GP practices, staff and other healthcare professionals
- The post holder will: Develop a culture that promotes equality and values diversity. The post holder must be aware of and committed to the Equality and Diversity policies of the practice and comply with all the requirements of these policies and actively promote Equality and Diversity issues relevant to the post.
- Ensure the principles of openness, transparency and candour are observed and upheld in all working practices.
- The post holder will have, or acquire through training provided by the organisation, the appropriate level of safeguarding and knowledge, skills and practice required for the post and be aware of and comply with the organisation’s safeguarding protection policies and procedures.
In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately.
In the performance of the duties outlined in this Job Description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, Practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the Practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential.
Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the Practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the Practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data
Health & Safety:
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the practice Health & Safety Policy, the practice Health & Safety Manual, and the practice Infection Control policy and published procedures. This will include:
- Using personal security systems within the workplace according to Practice guidelines
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
- Actively reporting of health and safety hazards and infection hazards immediately when recognised
- Keeping own work areas and general / patient areas generally clean, assisting in the maintenance of general standards of cleanliness consistent with the scope of the job holder’s role
- Undertaking periodic infection control training (minimum annually)
- Reporting potential risks identified
Equality and Diversity:
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognises the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with Practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
- Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the Practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
- Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the Practice, and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients needs
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources
The post-holder should recognise the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers
- Recognize people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly
Contribution to the Implementation of Services:
The post-holder will:
- Apply Practice policies, standards and guidance
- Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect own work
- Participate in audit where appropriate
Special requirements of the post:
This job description represents an outline of the post and is not exhaustive; it provides an indication only of the scope and range of the duties to be undertaken. The post holder may be required to undertake other related duties not specifically mentioned above. The job description therefore is intended to be flexible and is subject to review and amendment following consultation between the post holder and line manager.
Primary Care Pharmacy Technician
De Winton Field Practice
|Attributes||Essential||Desirable||Method of Assessment|
|Registered with the GPhC as a Pharmacy Technician
Evidence of continuing professional development
|Medicines Reconciliation Certificate or Equivalent||Application Form/ Certificate Check/Interview|
Previous experience of working within a patient facing role
Experience in using NHS information systems
|Experience of the GMS contract and Medicines Management Incentive Schemes
Recent previous experience within a comparable role in General Practice
Experience of prescribing/clinical systems, such as Vision, Docman
|Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
Good IT skills
Good organisational skills
Ability to work under pressure in a busy environment
Ability to work as part of a team
Motivational & Negotiation skills
Time management skills
Ability to plan, prioritise and organize workload
Ability to make decisions
|Application Form/Interview/ References|
|Continued commitment to improve skills and ability in new areas of work
Self motivated, able to work collaboratively and independently
|Understanding of clinical governance and risk management
Awareness of Medicines Management Agenda
Knowledge of audit and research
|Application Form/Interview/ References|
|Other||Ability to work flexibly with the ability to travel between sites and undertake domiciliary visits||Innovative
Ability to speak Welsh
|Application Form/Interview/ References|